Know Your Rights: Resource Library
Information about tenant rights.
Articles, links, forms, and sample documents that can help you with landlord/tenant issues can be found in the Housing Library hosted by MichiganLegalAid.org, our statewide legal information website. You can browse through all of the materials in the Housing Library, search for information on a specific topic, or use the Subject Guide found below.
Please keep in mind that tenant rights may vary by location. The information presented here applies generally to all Michigan residents; however specifics can vary from city to city. Many municipalities have their own laws and ordinances that govern your legal relationship with your landlord.
Resource Library Subject Guide
Here is a selection of articles to frequently requested information. For a complete list visit the MichiganLegalAid.org Housing Library. Jump to a topic (or scroll down to view the entire list):
- General Information
- Maintenance & Repairs
- Mobile Home Parks
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Section 8 & Subsidized Housing
- Security Deposits
- Small Claims Court
- Subleasing & Lease Assignment
Don't forget to try your local library for print resources!
- Tenants & Landlords: A Practical Guide
- Rights and Duties of Tenants Handbook [City of Ann Arbor]
- Eviction Timeline
- Eviction, Illegal Eviction, and Utility Access
- Evictions for Nonpayment of Rent
- Evictions for Termination of Tenancy
- Know Your Rights: Interference with Tenancy and Illegal Evictions
- Surviving Eviction
- Frequently asked Questions from Tenants in Manufactured Home Communities
- Instructions for Filing Mobile Home Park Complaints with State Government
- The Manufactured Home Buyer's & Resident's Handbook
- Michigan Mobile Home Park Administrative Rules
- Mobile Home Park Tenant's Rights
- A Guide to Security Deposits
- Security Deposit Timeline
- Your Security Deposit is Your Money Until The Landlord Proves Otherwise